Re: [NTLK] After some time returning to use Newton but problems connecting

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 18:00:33 EST

Michael:

I also wanted to mention, unless you can connect, pretty tough to install packages without internet access. When the Newton is sort of bare, it can't connect to the web because it does not have the NIE installed... but the IR port can come in handy, although I have not yet been able to beam anything to a Mac OS Classic computer, yet, and Newton Connection Utilities does not support beaming.

So, with your Keyspan USB connected to OS X, use a program called Newten. Link supplied at the bottom. With Newten, install all the packages on your Newton from the NCX program, so you can connect with NCX.

Newten... with your Newton connected via USB, launch Newten and select one of the drivers from the preferences pane (1.x is for Keyspans with only one port, 2.x are for Keyspans with 2 ports). 1.1 would be a Keyspan with 1 port, connected to USB port number 1 on your computer. 1.2 would be for a Keyspan with 1 port, connected to USB port number 2 on the computer.

You will have to try either cu. or the tty. driver to see which one works.

Now, after you have selected one of the drivers, close preferences and select a package to install (i.e. from the NCX folder), making sure you have the serial connection window cued on your Newton, available by clicking Extras>Dock.
Then, from Newten, click "Install package"; right after that, click connect on your Newton and it should start installing the package. You can only install one package at a time with Newten. Install all of the NCX packages, then try and connect with NCX changing the Serial connection to the fastest setting. You should then be able to install multiple packages at once with NCX by dragging them over the NCX install package pane.

Let us know how it worked out.

Newten download: newten1_1.dmg.gz

Ryan