Re: [NTLK] Newton History

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 00:39:47 EST

Larry:

The KN was a pretty ambitious device for its time, and it is still quite an ambitious device. Do you think that a company has the ability to produce something like this out of the box? Because there has never been anything like this.

I know with massive tweaking, programming and third party programs, one can only begin to approach the KN.

What I see is a combination of really good hardware and powerful software, where the software's main purpose revolves around GTD and prediction. It would have to be an agent based system.

Using some existing examples put together in order to construct the KN, Skype and Apple's multi-touch/really good design could give use the device, with video conferencing for everyone, and screen share (available on new Skype beta for Mac). So with the multi-touch, video conferencing and Apple design out of the way, the rest is programming a predictive, intelligent, agent based operating system with the applications to compliment.

The KN is really good at interpreting speech, too. You can speak to it naturally and it understands. So voice would have to be really advanced as well, something that is lacking in today's world.

And then, the other focus would be on the web browser, and all the potential that it holds. Recently, I have been on the hunt for internet search agents that crawl the web, find the information I want, and present to me in readable bits. Basically, I want to be presented with x information, updated on a daily basis, without ever having to search in a browser. The idea of information coming to us is really the next step for the internet: no more wasting time searching for information. And this is sort of at the heart of the KN. It finds things for him that would be useful, and presents relevant information to him in regards to the context of a particular situation.

He never has to search for things on his own. The agent finds exactly what he is wanting immediately. If anyone knows of any good agent based information crawlers, I am all ears.

Ryan