Re: [NTLK] Keyboard Repairs?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Feb 07 2009 - 14:03:51 EST

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Paul Zenk <pzenk@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > As I recall, everything must be off with the keyboard plugged in to
> > the Newton, and then turn the Newton on.
> >
> If a MP2K variant, using a dongle, you can plug the keyboard into the
> dongle, then plug the dongle into the Newton, and that should work
> without turning off the Newton. If using the SER001, on the other
> hand, or a 130 or older, you do need to turn off the Newton.

Hey Jon,

You are suppose to have the unit off before you plug it in.
If you have the dongle it will turn on the Newton the moment you plug it in.
With the SER-001 or Dongle Destroyer yo still need to plug it in first
before you turn it on so that it will recognize it properly iirc.

But since only some keys aren't working, I don't think that's his problem.

 The only things it could be is that it's the individual keys are defective
OR maybe the chip/pcb is defective. I'm not sure how the recognition is done
but maybe if the setup is detecting arrays maybe a section (row/column or
both) are not being detected. I don't recall past conversations how the
Newton Keyboard is detected but I recall it's not the same as a normal
keyboard, right? for the norm I've had to replace the pcb a few times for
other list members when they complete Newton Keyboard was not working. I
tested by swapping out the pcb and the cable to eliminate them as possible
issues.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung