[NTLK] iPhone speach recognition available

Larry Yaeger lsynt3 at beanblossom.in.us
Tue Dec 8 18:27:45 EST 2009

I don't think Dragon is up to anything nefarious.  They're just trying to increase recognition accuracy, and their privacy policy makes it clear that only minimal data is acquired and it is never used in any way other than recognition.

All decent recognition, handwriting or speech, requires a good model of the text being recognized--a context model for deciding between multiple, alternative hypotheses.  Proper names of people and places are the hardest thing to provide to such a model, simply because there are so many of them.  You can have a 100K word list and cover most anything people will write or say, except for names.  But a 100K name list doesn't scratch the surface of proper names.  It makes good sense for them to be using your contact names to recognize your spoken contacts.

Given their privacy policy, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

- larryy