Re: [NTLK] MP2100 Offset of Recognition

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Wed Aug 26 2009 - 02:37:01 EDT

On Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 1:09 pm Andy Hill wrote:

> I know people have suggested jaggies,
> and this is probably the case, but
> for the record could you test whether:

I really haven't been listening to this full thread but I can tell you something:

My case of the jaggies was caused by the plastic, molded, shell of the Newton, changing shape over time, causing pressure to be placed at areas along the (PCMCIA) side that threw off the touch sensitivity. Using a carrying case that put pressure on and/or twisted the Newton's case. Dust and pine tree pollen only exacerbated the problem. Cleaning under the edges worked for shorter and shorter periods.

What solved it permanently? Breaking the thin, plastic bridge under the lid release, at the right edge of the lower Card Slot. Accidently, of course. Super gluing it. Breaking it again and super gluing it again.

You'll be amazed at the improvements... in both speed and accuracy... When you have a beat-up 2100 that you're not so concerned with its "pristine-ness" in as much as its functionality.

Others will have already mentioned "the archives" because these machines eventually develope common quirks.

One other solution I heard worth considering is shaving / filing of the underside of this "pressure" area, to reduce its sensitivity. That requires taking the case apart and putting it back together. Shave / file off generously. However, the breaking of that center bridge essentially did the same thing, simply and quickly... release the pressure. I've been jaggie free and happy ever since.

Best regards,

Ron

P.S. I'm not suggesting you break your Newton, only pointing (providing proof) to where the problem lies.

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM