[NTLK] MP2100 Offset of Recognition

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 19:23:44 EDT

> I'm noticing that my 2100, for no apparent reason that I can trace, will
> start offsetting the point of recognition of a tap on the screen.

Note that this is NOT (as has been posted) an incarnation of what Newton users lovingly call "the
jaggies". The latter results in all kinds of weird lines being drawn when writing on the screen
because the touchscreen is misled by pressure where no pressure should be.

Alignment problems are a different cup of tea altogether. For one, they usually do not change with
pressure on the bezel. And, unlike the jaggies, they have a tendency to be stronger at certain parts
of the screen, which you can easily test for yourself if you download NewtTest from the software
section of the site in the signature and use the subtest where the screen is filled with small
buttons that you need to tap to disappear. If you tap a button and keep the pen down, you will see a
dot where the Newton thinks you tapped. You'll notice in almost every case that the offset differs
depending on where on the screen the particular button is.

The good news is that within certain limits you can resolve this hardware problem by cheating during
the alignment routine. All you need to do is click with a deliberate offet. I always forget in which
direction the offset must be, but if you want to compensate e. g. a vertical offset in the upper
part of the screen, you need to click either above or below the topmost "X".
Note that if the offset is too large, the Newton will not accept your tap and show the "X" again.
But you can increase the offset by using the alignment routine multiple times with smaller offsets.

Hope it helps

Frank