Re: [NTLK] Newton connected to nearby remote laptop...

From: R A Parker <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 22:44:01 EDT

On Monday, April 27, 2009 at 11:49 am Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:

> I had an idea lately, wonder if this
> could be set up.
>
> I like the idea of the VNC connection.
> You connect the Newton to look
> at another computer on the network.

I've had that same idea on my list of "Things I want to do with my Newton before I die." since I first found out it might be possible.

> I am starting to think such an
> arrangement to access and read articles
> from a network computer in another room
> might be a fun application for the
> Newton.

Or, how about remotely controlling iTunes! Wirelessly!

> So how about a more field use.

> Is there a way, aside from using an
> airport module, where the Newton and
> a laptop could communicate with
> each other, or would an Airport be
> needed in that case to?

My experiences with Ad Hoc wireless networks and a Newton, I would say this possibility is a definite... Yes.

All you need is the VNC client (on the Newton) and a VNC host (your laptop or your desktop). The VNC software running on both computers must be able to communicate (be compatible) with each other. Airport (other than being AppleTalk compatible) won't make a difference with VNC. This is because VNC would be using its own communication protocol, over a standard IP network.

All that is needed is that the VNC client and VNC host can talk to each other. The idea should work with wired, wirelessly, through a router, using a crossover ethernet cable, or even an Ad Hoc wireless connection setup on the laptop. It's all about IP networking.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM