Re: [NTLK] Interesting Screen Anomaly on 2100, Anyone...

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 15:48:14 EDT

On 14/9/08, Ryan Vetter wrote:

>I did check the edges, etc. and I don't think there is a screen protector.

If it's the hard type and well installed, you won't be able to see
edge of the protector as it will be well up inside under lip of case
surrounding screen. I suppose it's also possible someone could have
gone to the trouble of installing a soft protector that well. I
presume that would be easy to do with case removed.

It it's a hard type tightly installed, it may take quite firm finger
pressure to buckle and shift it. Attempting to slide it at top or
bottom edge of screen toward the far edge would provide most
leverage. I'm pretty sure it would be rather hard to dislodge (ruin)
the screen's mylar film this way, as I expect one wouldn't be able to
exert enough force to do so before overcoming the slight friction
between mylar and finger.

>These are classic Newton's rings like in photography, which tells me
>that there is a film either over top of the glass that is partly
>loose (air pockets = Newton's rings)

Interference patterns (presumably what you mean by Newton's rings)
could also be from screen protector if there is oil or so underneath
it. The soft type protector easily produces colored interference
patterns if not tightly adhered.

Some vendors shipped Newtons with screen protectors already installed.

As I recall, glass touch screens weren't available in Newton's day;
if they were, Apple didn't use them.

The top layer of what seems the screen on a Newton is a layer of
mylar backed by rows of very fine (nearly invisible) wires (I presume
stamped on like printing a circuit board with molten solder). The
next layer (whether another layer of plastic or just the top layer of
glass of the LCD) is also coated with wires, I believe running
perpendicular to the topmost mylar film. Using the stylus presses the
mylar layer onto the wires beneath, and the system detects which
wires are completing the circuit, or perhaps just a change in
resistance.

>taking apart the LCD? Replacing the film?

The entire sandwich is manufactured as one unit and there is no way
to repair it. Attempting to take it apart will destroy the delicate
connections to the wire grid and the integrity of the sandwich. I
presume it has nitrogen or so sealed inside to keep mylar film lifted
off screen.

Perhaps NewtonSales has replacement screen assemblies available.

Good luck!

B C D