Re: [NTLK] Jaggies Fix (Any updates on this?)

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 22:33:05 EDT

Chiming in a little late...

On Sep 7, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Woody Smith wrote:

> Others RAP If i recall suspected pressure from the display bezel and
> demonstrated a repair. Others have found buildup of dirt between
> bezel and the display as well as case distortion putting pressure on

I have two MP2100s, both of which tend toward having Jaggies, but
with differences:

#1 is overall in very good shape, with the exception of a small gouge
on the screen. I got this one with a NuShield installed, and have
continued to use it this way. I had to stop using it, however, when
it developed a severe case of Jaggies. It did not respond to cleaning
under the bezel. Curiously, after I had stored it for a few months,
the Jaggies were no longer there. I suspect this one is of the
'bezel pressure' variety, because when I used it in a flip-top play-
through case, it worked fine, but rapidly re-developed Jaggies after
I put it into a zip-up case, which tended to put more pressure on the
display bezel. It's back in storage for awhile to see if it re-heals.

#2 is actually the first MP2100 that I acquired, and my everyday
Newton. It's really beat up, with paint flaking off the corners, a
crack on the 'post' between the card slots, and noticeable wear on
the screen, especially where the keyboard keys and the close box
appear. Just last night I noticed that the tracking between pen and
resultant line was deteriorating. One easy way to verify this was to
draw diagonal lines across a note. The line was straight, except at
certain spots where it deviated from the pen. A few swipes around/
under the perimeter of the bezel with a business card, and the lines
were once again straight when I drew them. So this one appears to
suffer from 'dirty bezel' jaggies.

FWIW

--
Don Zahniser