Re: [NTLK] Fwd: [re the next NewtCon] all about Canada

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 18:20:19 EDT

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The one thing that reaffirms things for me is when I speak with my American clients and more times than I care to remember, they don't even know what or where Vancouver is. Sometimes I test them and ask them if they at least know where Montreal is and sometimes the response is that they have never heard of the city. Yes, sounds silly but tis true.

Try telling many people in the U.S. (esp. those that don't regularly
go on ski/snowboarding vacations) outside of New England that you're
from Vermont. Then try explaining that it's actually one of the 50
states. You know, up on the Canadian border... next to New York & New
Hampshire... oh, never mind.

Okay, it's not quite that bad, but it's still shocking how limited
most U.S. citizen's knowledge of their own country is, let alone any
others.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com