Re: [NTLK] 2100 + Battery Rebuild = Fried Newton

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 16:01:58 EDT

Ryan,

> Plugged it back in, then 10 minutes later, I hear a POP! I take
> the battery out and a smell of something fried came out of the 2100
> from the battery bay.

I have a nasty feeling this might be a failure similar to that of two
other MP2Ks I have seen which is a capacitor in the power supply/
charging circuit that has failed. The two Newts this happened to were
a total loss as the exploding cap had excavated a hole in the PCB. I
hope yours is not one of these.

For the last few years, since I saw these failures, I have stopped
charging batteries in the Newts themselves and only use a battery
tray and an external charger. It's more flexible, faster to swap than
charge, the cells are charged individually instead of in series and
the ageing charging circuits that handle the large currents necessary
are not challenged.

Joel.