Re: [NTLK] WiFi cards - which one is more compatible?

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 11:50:59 EDT

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Carlos Pessoa Filho <carlos.pf@mac.com> wrote:

> I have read several email threads about this but didn't find an
> answer. Which WiFi card for the Newton is more compatible to wireless
> networks out there?
> It seems that will need to have at least two different cards ( a
> Lucent Gold and a Silver) to cover a good part of the spectrum of
> networks. Is this assumption right?
> Or is there any other brand that can substitute having those two
> cards? For instance, my Gold card works well in the wireless network
> at home (no WEP), but it doesn't work in my office (WEP network), even
> though I have a de WEP enabled driver in my MP2000u.

The Lucent WaveLAN Gold is the same as the WaveLAN Silver except that
in addition to supporting 40/64-bit WEP, it also supports 104/128-bit
WEP. The Gold card which you already have is all you should need.

If your office is using WEP and not WPA/WPA2, then you should be able
to enter the wireless key and it should work. Do note that Hiroshi's
WaveLAN driver doesn't support entering a WEP password, you must enter
the WEP key (a hexadecimal string) instead.

You might have to ask your admin at work for the hex key, or go into
the router admin software to determine what it is.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/