Re: [NTLK] NewtonScript Tutorial 3 preview for the brave

From: <mkow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat May 31 2008 - 20:30:12 EDT

May 31, 2008

Hello Matthias:

Please allow me to make a few recommendations as a technical communicator:

? *? Standardize your text and try to remain consistent as much as possible. Decide if you want to use "Choose", "Select", etc, and stick with it. I personally prefer to use "Select" for commands involving sub-menus and lists; I use "Click" for command buttons and hyperlinks.

? *? Use bold text for a command button name, list option,? or sub-menu option when it is being acted upon:

??? ? ?? ??? ?? "Click OK."

??? ?? ?? ?? ?? "Select File > Print."

??? ?? ?? ?? ?? "From the Employee list, select Senior Hydrologist."

? *? Capitalize the names of command buttons, headings, menus, tabs, etc. Don't capitalize the word "tab", however!

??????????????? "Select the Advanced tab"

??? ?? ?? ?? ?? "Select View > Zoom."

??
? *? Number each step in a procedure (see my example, below).

To create a new project:

?? 1.? From the tool bar, select Project > New Project.
??????? A file name dialog box will appear.

?? 2.? Name the file (Use any name that you prefer; DyneTK will set the .ntk extension).

   3. Click OK.
         The Files tab will be enabled.

          Note: You can view some of the presets that DyneTK has done for you. Select Project >Settings.

Remember to strive toward clarity and brevity in your documentation.
I would be more than happy to help you with your documentation...

Best regards,

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan USA