Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 23:38:58 EST

On Jan 28, 2008, at 7:54 PM, William Pociengel wrote:

>>> Computer should be more like e-paper with a pen.
>>
>> but why? I type much faster--and yes, on the QUERTY keyboard--than I
>> write by hand. Typing with even the most ineffecient keyboard layout
>> is faster than writing by hand. And it takes little effort to
>
> try keeping up with shorthand. I care no how fast you can type you
> will
> be left in the dust. If you don't like to write it then you can learn
> like the court stenographers. they'll also leave you in the dust.
>
> A keyboard is fast because you've never tried to do something else.

Soooooo..... you're arguing that we should all learn shorthand in
order that we may do things faster with e-paper than we do with
keyboards? That would take a lot of relearning. It's bad enough
training one's self to write so that HWR systems can read one's
handwriting.

Also: where's the software that's going to translate shorthand
gestures to actual text? We'll need that before I can write an email
with shorthand.

And court stenographers use ... a keyboard. Granted it's not QWERTY,
but it sure isn't like e-paper with a pen.

In the meantime, the earlier question is cogent. Why should computers
be more like e-paper with a pen, when nearly everyone can type much
more quickly with a keyboard?

Steve