Re: [NTLK] NCX setup

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 18:55:57 EST

Ian,
I have been using NCX under Tiger via wireless to install package,
backup, import text files and such.

On my MP2000 I have: Ethernet Dock, Newton Internet Enabler, NIE
Ethernet module, and the wireless drivers, of course. In my Internet
setup I have created one called "Card Ethernet Setup" in which my
particular card is selected and I have it configuration set to DHCP
Server. When I insert the card, I note that I have "Use Card for
Appletalk" checked in the dialog box that appears.

After starting up NCX on my laptop, I start-up Dock on the MP2000,
choose to Connect Via Ethernet. Normally, I already have my laptop
selected to Connect to, but, if I have moved from the wireless
network at home to the one at work, I will often choose "Other
computer" in the Connect to line of Dock. That allows me to change
my worksite before firing up the wireless and trying to connect.

Generally I can then watch the wireless connect to the network, get
an IP address, and, shortly after, up pops the Doc command screen.

I believe I got the impression, when I was first getting all this to
work, as others have suggested, that the Ethernet Dock and the TCP/IP
on the Newton may not play happily together. I note others preferred
TCP/IP. I had more success with Ethernet Dock. YMMV.

I have also heard there are load order issues with NIE and the other
components. I evidently justblundered into the right order.

Cheers!

Greg
Greg Hankins
Happy Hank's Honey House