Re: [NTLK] Smallest Portable Printer?

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews_at_sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 17:40:08 EST

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:14:21AM +0200, dotline7 wrote:
> I don't understand. You mean you can connect Newt directly to a fax machine
> and print. Can you explain in detail?

Sure, with some modem/fax machine combinations you don't need
anything - just a straight through cable will work, although this
isn't universal so if you can't call through the switchboard you
need a little adapter - these are trivial to construct. See
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/fax_to_modem.html for
examples.

I managed to build one of these into an RJ11 plug to RJ11 and BT
socket adapter which I'd need to carry anyway, although the battery
is by necessity a little small and is only good for a couple of
hours continuous use, but for me that is months in practice. No
need for a switch to save the battery - the circuit is automatically
broken the minute you disconnect it from either the fax or the
modem.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org