Re: [NTLK] synching with Os X?

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 13:08:24 EST

On Jan 24, 2008 10:53 AM, James Charney <james.charney@yale.edu> wrote:

> Hi--Thanks for help re-activating my ability to connect my Newton in
> Classic mode.
> I realize that the reason I got into trouble is I was experimenting
> with trying to connect my Newton in OS X and had made the changes for
> the NCX app. which I couldn't get to work for me.
> I have NCX and also NewtonSync on my MacBook, but I've never been
> able to get either one to work properly. I would like to reliably
> back up my Newton and also Export my Dates and Names.
> I've been away from this list for a while. Which program do most
> people use now to Synch their Newtons using OSX?
> Is there a good FAQ page or a detailed walk-through of how to set
> up that program? I have a working ethernet card and hub, which I am
> currently using to synch my Newton using Classic.
> But I would love to move forward into OSX.

The problem is that there's no real/reliable syncing solution for Mac OS X yet.

NCX is the best NCU replacement (so package installer, backup &
restore, remote keyboard, importer/exporter of notes, names, etc.).
Simon Bell has plans to implement its syncing feature using Mac OS X
built-in sync frameworks, but that'll take more time.

NewtSync works for a few people (fails for most), but it has some
major issues. Steven Frank took a crack at fixing some of the bugs,
but decided it wasn't something he needed to spend his time on (i.e.
he was better off not syncing). I don't think those fixes ever really
got rolled into a release.

I use Eckhart Köppen's IC/VC (http://40hz.org/wiki/index.php/IC/VC) to
export Dates & Name entries as .ics (iCal) & .vcf (vCard),
respectively as well as importing from the same formats. I do this via
BlueTooth using his Blunt (http://40hz.org/wiki/index.php/40Hz)
BlueTooth drivers, a Pico card, and usually sending to/from my MacBook
Pro. I've also used IC/VC, Simon Bell's Mail V
(http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/mailv/index.html), and WiFi in the
past as well. This is, of course, the modern way to sync your data
manually.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com