Re: [NTLK] vCard Puzzle

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 03:08:27 EST

On Jan 22, 2008 11:08 PM, Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:
> While my Mac address book is relatively small, 80 entries I just
> successfully imported it to my Names file on my 2100. All entries on
> the Newt were deleted. Mac G4 running Leopard, I choose all names and
> exported as vCard to my desktop.
> Then using NCX connected via wifi imported vcard to my names on the
> Newt.
> At leats one card had a work address and a Home address and both were
> included on the Newton Names file. My efforts to do the same via
> serial failed.
>
> At first I thought that only one was exported but I changed my view
> from Card to all and sure enough both addresses were there

SUCCESS!!! At last!

Thank you Woody! Your post prompted me last night--around 11, to try
once more. I fired up NCX, slapped in my wifi card, and connected. It
actually started to work, so I killed the connection, remembering that
I still had my 5 or 6 yr old, outdated names database, emptied Names
(the hard way--took 5 "select all", "delete all" operations) and
re-connected. I made the mistake of thinking that wired internet would
be faster, but the plug fell out towards the beginning, both killing
the connection, and forcing a reset on the Newton, and multiple quits
and force-quits of NCX (I couldn't get the connection to close!), but
it connected finally, and about 20 minutes later, I have 1022 names on
my Newton, and they are all perfect! (including some extra data in the
Notes field that apparently didn't fit into the Newton fields). Now,
between that, and finally compiling a commandline program on my Mac
for Polish-English dictionary, I miss my Palm a lot less. ;-)

So, thanks again, Woody, for the incentive to try once more!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland