[NTLK] Wireless: Connecting to base stations...

From: Andy Taylor <andy_otter_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 11:43:36 EDT

Hi again
Unlike Andy Bloom my wifi's not there yet!
I've got my Orinoco Silver fitted to my 2100 with approp packages
installed.
Was going to use RAParkers' pdf about using AppleTalk bridge, but I
don't use Classic or NCU.
I turned to
http://www.deleet.de/ray/newton/802.11b-FAQ.html
which made me realise that if I were to use PowerBook/MacBookPro as a
"Software Base Station" I would either need to get a separate wireless
card (to talk to the Newton whilst Airport connected to the base
station) OR connect Mac to base station via ethernet cable. Neither of
which I want to do - not do I really want to use sudo terminal
commands if I can help it.
I notice at the top of 802.11b-FAQ.html it says

> OBSOLETE. AS OF 03-12-2002, HIROSHI'S DRIVER SUPPORTS INFRASTRUCTURE
> MODE (CONNECTING TO BASE STATIONS AND ACCESS POINTS).

Connecting (directly) to a base station would seem to both contradict
previous advice and (possibly) be more straightforward .
Anybody know anything about this?
Or, failing that, has found another way of connecting directly to an
OsX only machine?

Thanks

Andy

PS: AndyB, how did you get connected?