Re: [NTLK] MP2100 Screen Brightness

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 06:58:02 EDT

~~~ On 2008/08/19 01:55, T-na Tran at tnatran@sprintpcs.com wrote ~~~

> For indoor use / lighting, do most of you have to use the backlighting? I
> mean, under normal indoor lighting. I find my MP2100 screen very dim; I
> always have to have the backlighting on. I've adjusted the contrast but
> still, I can only use the MP2100 with the backlight on. I was not sure if
> that is normal or if I need to have it serviced. It works fine every other
> way. I have 2 MP2100 and they both have the dim screen.
>
> Is that normal for the MP2100? I find I'm not using teh MP2100 as much due to
> the poor lighting and it being difficult on the eyes.
>
> Thank you!

From reading what everyone else has said I see this is a common experience,
but I had an accident not long after I got my Newton which I think I've
mentioned before. I looked at my Newton screen (without the backlight)
through my polarized sunglasses and discovered that the polarization makes
the screen sharper and clearer to read. Now, this effect does have its
limitations: the darkening effect of the shades works against you even as
the polarizing is helping, and artificial lighting is usually not as subject
to polarization. But in dim daylight, polarized lenses with only the
faintest tint might be quite impressive.

I'm considering getting some different kinds of polarized lenses and
experimenting with this. My ageing eyes demand that I try to improve
visibility by any means necessary. Until then, a well-placed light, as has
been mentioned already, is my preferred solution.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl