Re: [NTLK] ATA Linear flash speed

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 21:31:00 EDT

On Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 7:18 pm Ryan Vetter wrote:

> I challenge someone to go out and buy
> an Extreme III and try it out

OK... I'll accept that challenge.

> If I were someone in the market, I would
> try and snag an Extreme IV on sale (~$40
> for 1 GB). It has sequential read/write
> speeds of 45 mb/sec, over double the
> Extreme III.

mmm... do you think extreme speed cards can make a difference?

> Most ATA cards are at about 8-12mb/sec
> without ESP, and as far as I know, they
> don't all do sequential read and write
> very well.

Now, isn't this an interesting tidbit.

I'm thrilled this subject is finally hitting mainstream and others are
starting to test out what works best with ATA.

Now for the questions...

What exactly are you using as an adapter and/or ATA card? Is this a
straight through PC Card or is it a CFII or SD Card with a PCMCIA adapter?

On Monday, August 18, 2008 at 2:43 pm James Wages wrote:

> In the absence of replies over the
> past 24 hours in this thread, I will
> assume that

Never assume, or haven't you heard that joke before?

> only 1 person among us (however large
> a community Newton users may be at
> this time) has even used an Extreme
> III ATA CF with ATA Support in
> the Newton?

I had assumed it wouldn't make a difference because of the age of the
Newton technology. I was using older/spare smaller CF & SD cards. ooops...
I just did it, didn't I?

However, 24 hours is like a minute to me. Pardon me while I take a minute
to test these findings.

(a minute passes ;-)

Holy MolŽ!!! I think he's found something significant!

Because of Ryan's keen observations, I pulled my 1GB 150x CF Card out my
camera and plugged it into my CFII adapter.

Holy MolŽ!!!

Stability of the ATA Support Driver improved dramatically! I've been
filling the thing up (for the last 24 Hours) without a single lock up!!

Speed wise... I must say, definitely snappy! Not linear flash speeds, of
course. But I can feel a very noticeable difference!

RECOMMENDATION: For ATA Support, modern higher speed, higher capacity CF
Cards DO provide better stability... AND speed.

Well done my friend... one of us!

Ron

--
Sent with GoFetch and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
 From the "Who says, 'Size Doesn't Matter'" file:
   Ever notice, when someone comments on your Newton PDA,