Re: [NTLK] ATA Support (was: Connecting my Newton-Questions!)

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 21:52:00 EDT

On Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 4:35 pm James Wages wrote:

> PAINFULLY SLOW! Try a 1GB Microdrive
> and you'll be spinning that disk for
> an eternity (the larger the slower?)

And experiencing serious battery drain,

I'm still playing with CF & SD with PCMCIA Adapters. So far, I'm not happy with the stability factor. Too many lock ups! I want to find the right combination of ATA Card/Adapter and then keep the size around 256MB. Stability is what I want.

> Even so, I have a report going in
> another thread about linear cards.
> My beloved 32MB card stopped working

Sorry, not much more can be said other than false sympathy. Linear Flash technology is flawed by design. Something called "write cycles." Even our fair Newtons will fail one day as well.

> sent it off to PCBman for a look.
> Seems like the only way to resurrect
> the linear cards is to format
> of us don't have.

Experience tells me it is time to move on and buy a new Linear Flash card.

, but linear is scary (unless you're
> well-to-do and couldn't care less how
> much it costs to replace them).

I would disagree. I haven't ever had any problem buying good Linear Cards with my salary scale. You could almost call me the King of computing frugality.

Now, AA Battery trays... rare and expensive.

Best regards,

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM