Re: [NTLK] Connecting my Newton-Questions!

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 18:12:23 EDT

Looks like Ron Sonny and others gave you very thorough comments, but I
still have a couple of comments

On Aug 12, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Andy Taylor wrote:

> I need a KeySpan USA-28. Any particular sub-model or will any one do?
> With that and NCX-34 and the adapter (just refound!), I'm off &
> running, yes?

Is the adapter the Newton Interconnect Dongle? Converts NIC to
serial. If so good.

> Will my 2100 then connect to my Airport Base Station? Will it be
> visible to my Mac? Via AppleTalk? (These may be silly questions)

The Newton and Mac do not see each other in the same way that two macs
do. They on;ly see each other through some connection software such
as NCX NewTen, Newtsync or Escale. Or as Web entities if set up to
serve.

> I'm looking to buy another, better cared for 2100. Can I transfer
> data/ packages between two via IrDA, or mem-card swapping?

If you have a backup on a linear flash card or on a mac or pc of your
old Newt you can brainwipe the new Newt then restore the backup to
the new one. And except for system patches and some software that is
registered to the Newts id#, it will be identical to the one backed
up. Information can be beamed form one newt to another this means
data or packages.