Re: [NTLK] Formatting & Erasing Linear Flash Cards

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 21:10:22 EDT

On 8/6/08 11:29 PM, "Matt Howe" <matthowe@comcast.net> wrote:
> Something happens to these cards that a PC can get past and a
> Newton can not.

I understand that, Matt. But it's not something my WinXP PC's here in
Japan, with MCE 3.14 no less, can get past. I am guessing it must be a
voltage thing. Even so, most any PCMCIA reader/writer in PC's today is
3.3v, which is lower than what is required for this "5v-only" card.

But I need to investigate a long term solution because I am nobody special.
I have no grand illusions of this "never happening again." I do eagerly
look forward to an analysis by PCBman (and thank you again, David, for your
kindness in that regard), but even if he can repair it, I need to figure out
how I can do so myself down the line. I can't go around paying top dollar
for 32MB linear flash cards each time Clarity bugs nab me and stray bits are
strewn across my beloved flash card!

By the way, I take it there is nothing comparable to Clarity for the Newton?
I had the bugs in Clarity, and I hate the limitations too (doesn't let me
save groups of students, say a different group for every year). I use it
for class attendance. I mention this because Clarity gets the most use of
any package on my Newton. And it was also Clarity that was the root cause
of my 32MB linear card dilemma! A dilemma indeed!

Thanks!

James Wages