Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS 9 help needed.

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 01:49:33 EDT

On Apr 3, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Jacob Evans wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> I have a question also relating to using a Newton with OS 9. Here's
> the deal: I purchased for cheap a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet with the
> intent of running OS 9 within Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) in hopes of
> providing some better integration with my Newton for certain tasks
> (i.e. working with Newton Books, MS Office files, developing Newton
> applications etc.)
>
> The reason why I'd like to use an older Mac to interface with my
> Newton is because I no longer have any pre-Intel macs in my arsenal,
> and I'd like to take advantage of some of the NCU functions as well
> as be able to move data seamlessly between Classic and OS X.
>
> After a bit of research, I learned that in order to put Panther on
> this particular PowerBook I have to use a hack called XPostFacto,
> which supposedly has limited serial port support. So before I spend
> more money on memory upgrades and the like, I was wondering if any of
> you have experience with running NCU under Classic on a PowerBook G3
> Wallstreet, and if so, what you'd recommend.

Partition the hard drive and use Xpostfacto for an OSX Panther
install, and also keep an OS9 native install. You can easily switch
back and forth by rebooting.

This way you get a working system for sure (in the OS9 booted
machine) and if you wish, you can experiment with OSX's "classic"
thing too.

I used Xpostfacto a while ago on a 9500 powermac and as I recall the
serial ports worked for connecting to the newton at least from OSX.

Marty

PS I am back after a month long hiatus from NewtonTalk due to my own
stupidity and the fact that my Newtontalk mailbox was full. Thanks to
Grant for his patience and help.