[NTLK] Q: Newton Interconnect by Apple - N1 China

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 10:55:43 EDT

[NTLK] Q: Newton Interconnect by Apple - N1 China
Okay Newton Users,

I've got this Dongle which I got in a recent transaction.
And I'm still a bit baffled by it.
Can anyone shed some light upon the situation.

Q: Could this Dongle be one from a batch that was suppose to be used with
the MessagePad EVT of the ('Q')?

Already plucked away at the Newton FAQs and this is what I have found so
far.

Picture of it:
Newton Interconnect by Apple - China N1 - Bottom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/364188591/in/set-72157594491228660/

Newton FAQ:
PART II: Newton Hardware
A) The Newton MessagePad family
1) What are the various Newton MessagePad models?
I have a grey dongle for MP2x00. What's the difference with the black
ones?</a>

Brian Parker reported on Usenet:
I have a very weird gray Newton 2K serial adapter! It appears to be exactly
the same as the normal black ones, except it is beige/gray and has
&quot;TAIWAN N 2&quot; instead of China on the bottom. It has the same part
number as the black ones.

Don Vollum answered:
IIRC, the gray adapters were for the DVT (second batch of prototype) 2000
units (codenamed &quot;N2&quot;). [Editor's note: cf the previous question]

The EVT units had black adapters, which looked like the production ones.
Between the EVT 2 run and the DVT run, they changed one of the pins, hence
the need for different adapters.

I believe that functionally, the gray adapter should be identical to a
production unit.

Hey! this is an unusual Newton Interconnect. It's not marked &quot;CHINA
N2&quot; like all the rest are. It's marked &quot;China N1&quot; and it
worked when I tested with a Newton Keyboard. I think Scott mentioned this
was a New OEM Bagged NIC.

*NOTE: I think this one may have been just a misprint., but who knows
really.

Got this in a trade with Scott Hoffman.

--
God bless,