Re: [NTLK] OT - Do you speak BBC English?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 04:41:22 EDT

~~~ On 2007/09/03 08:24, Andy Hill at adhill@fastmail.co.uk wrote ~~~

> The thing I find funny about 'them and us' debates is that I've never
> found an example of a 'them' or even in fact an 'us'.

Sorry, Andy, for seeming to give legitimacy to such a division of humanity.
I felt I had to do it, in order to make any clear analysis of the point. Of
course you're right; the real "us" is all-inclusive, the real "them" is
non-existent, and the real problem is that we all tend to misunderstand
what's going on round us -- and between "us" and "the other us" -- far more
often than we realize or admit.

As someone who grew up and was educated initially in the USA, and then moved
to the UK to continue my education and make my career so far, I've stopped
being able to tell whether I belong to multiple countries and cultures, or
to none at all. But I've met enough people in enough countries that like
you, I don't have much time for caricaturing nations too rigidly anymore,
except perhaps in some of the surface things that are good for a laugh but
quite unreal.

Anybody for a rendering of "The English, the English, the English are best"?
:)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl