Re: [NTLK] How do I freeze the battery for MP2x00?

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews_at_sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 16:42:11 EDT

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 04:16:40PM -0400, Douglas Starnes wrote:
> Walk me through this:
> I have a spare battery for an MP2x00 and it does not want to charge up - it
> starts to and then about ten minutes later, pops up a system message that
> says it cannot hold a charge, replace it.
>
> I have heard some folks having luck freezing the battery and getting some
> usability out of it. What are the steps I need to take to maximize success
> on this attempt?

There is no technique as such. When I've done it I've put it
(discharged but not sure how relevant that is) in a sealed plastic
bag to keep moisture out and popped it in the freezer for six or
seven hours. I've allowed the battery to warm to room temperature
before charging.

It doesn't matter what you do though: it isn't guaranteed. In my
experience it works around half the time. Sometimes they'll come
back to as-new condition (although they do seem to wear out again
fairly quickly), sometimes you'll get a capacity boost. Often
you'll get no benefit at all.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org