Re: [NTLK] newton 120 online somehow?

From: Tom Zahm <tpzahm_at_newted.org>
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 10:06:20 EDT

In the past, I've regularly used a MP120 to get my email. The MP120
with a Newton OS 2.0 ROM *does* support PPP.

My setup used a null-modem cable to a NeXTstation which had pppd
monitoring the serial port. The MP woke up at 4 AM, fired up ppp over
the serial line (arguably making my NeXTstation the largest NIC ever)
and downloaded my new mail via POP3. The same kind of setup can be
done with Linux or Mac OS X. I don't know about Windows.

Based on my increasingly dim memories of my web experiments back when I
was reading email via MP120, I'm afraid that even if you could browse
the web with a MP120, you'd find the experience maddeningly slow.

Yours in Newtondom,
Tom Zahm

P.S. I've recently re-discovered my formerly lost stash of
newt-compatible-and-tested 3COM NICs. Cards are used, sometimes
scratched, but always tested good. The adapters (from card to RJ-45
female) are new. I'll ship one to you in the US at *no cost* if you
make a $10 or more donation to the Newted Community
(http://www.newted.org - click on the PayPal icon) or Newtontalk
(http://www.newtontalk.net/donations/). I'd be glad to send them
international, too, but we'd have to talk about shipping costs. Hurry,
there's only a couple of dozens or so of these babies left. Remember,
these are only good with MP2Ks and (help me here, you experts) maybe
eMates.

If you try to fail, and you succeed, which have you done?