Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Larry Zasitko <l.zasitko_at_sasktel.net>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 11:40:19 EST

I have used most of the pda's at one time or another.
Psion: had a few great apps but was let down by a tiny screen and
having to type on a tiny keyboard. I had a Siena and a series 3.
Siena was a peice of garbage with an evan smaller screen and smaller
chicklet style keyboard that was really poor. Siena was given to me
but sits in a box. Series 3 was given to a friend and I am not sure
if he still uses it.
Palm: I actually bought one and used it for a while but did not like
the tiny screen for reading or anything else. If all you want is
calendar and phone numbers then use it. Plus was the sync to the pc's
I used it for a while and gave it to my son and it fell and broke the
screen....
Sony Clie: basically Sony's version of the Palm
Jornada: I bought one of these and liked it for some of the apps and
the colour screen, downside was screen size. Still have it but screen
now has some dead pixels and the battery does not last long, not sure
if I will use it again. I tried reading on it and it worked not too bad.
I Have tried other pdas but in the end I always go back to my Newton
2100. Big plus for me is screen size, much nicer than any of the
others. I do have all my contacts in it as well as on my desktop and
am hoping that syncing with it will be available through NCX soon. I
use the newton for appointments etc using 'at a glance' and 'more
info'. I work for myself so find that I only need it on the newton or
my portable. On the portable I use iCal and it works for what I need.
I also have an iPod and it syncs both iCal and address book though I
can't update it out in the field. The newton was well ahead of its
time when it was released and for me it still works fine. Reading
books on it is great, as well as any other program that could use
larger screen area.

Larry