Re: [NTLK] Multi-Mode Backdrop Pictures for Avi's Backdrop

From: RAParker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 22:05:03 EDT

On Jul 30, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Tommy Thomas wrote:

> This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do. Make the picture
> wider for my eMate. Please let me know how you did it,
> step by step! I'd be most grateful! :-D

Requirements:
   Graphic Converter
   Newton Press

1) Convert any image to a 4-bit grayscale (16 grays) image using
Graphic Converter.
2) Crop it to 480 x 420 and then copy it to the clipboard.
3) Launch Newton Press and create a new document.
4) Paste the image into the empty document.
5) Use any format eBook with the following "Title" options:
               Title: (this is the Short Name that appears on the
Newton)
           Long Name: (a longer more descriptive name appearing on the
Newton)
    Unique ID (ISBN): A!:BlahBlah <- To be seen by Avi's Backdrop, this
MUST begin with "A!:"
6) Select "File" -> "Create Package..."
7) Load this eBook onto your eMate and set the preferences on Avi's
Backdrop your short name.

Some other hints to keep in mind:
Avi's Backdrop displays Birthdays & Anniversaries in the upper-right
part of the screen, starting (close to the center) and aligned left,
from that point. Try to keep this area clear or make sure this area
uses a lighter shade of gray so that your birthdays and anniversaries
are readable.

Practice with aligning/centering/cropping your images so that when you
do rotate the orientation, the in-view part of the image works in
either landscape or portrait... i.e. it might look good in landscape
but the right portion of image will be clipped off when in portrait
mode... anticipate this fact. Anticipate this same thing with the
bottom part of image when going from portrait to landscape.

So, plan the subject focus to the upper-left. Use extra stuff (clouds,
trees, patterns, lines or even blank-ness) on the bottom and the right
to fill it those areas when you switch modes.

Attached are some other examples of pictures I use for backdrops, using
this idea. For the (attachment deprived) NewtonTalk users, see these
links for my original MP120 designs:
  <http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/3DBackdrops/QuadBG02.gif>
  <http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/3DBackdrops/QuadBG03.gif>
  <http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/3DBackdrops/QuadBG04.gif>