Re: [NTLK] [OT] AT&T - Unlocked!

From: Paul Braun <cygnus_at_ctgonline.org>
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 19:00:33 EDT

Adam Goddard wrote:
> On 20/07/2007, at 7:11 PM, Steven Scotten wrote:

>> the same thing that Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, Sony, Ericsson, LG and
>> every other cellphone maker does. Why pick on the iPhone when it's
>> the entire industry that needs fixing?

> It isn't GSM whatsoever. It's a 3G phone, otherwise known as WCDMA or
> Wideband CDMA. GSM and 3G/WCDMA will stick around for a little bit,
> but pushes into 3.5G and 4G networks, if handled correctly, will see
> great networks across all continents. I don't like network/operator
> locked phones either, but then it only takes me a few minutes to
> unlock them. :-P

Actually, it is GSM. It doesn't have the chipset to do 3G. That won't
be released until the next revision of the hardware. And considering
that there is very little 3G coverage yet in the USA, they would need
the carriers to ramp up the 3G infrastructure before they can really do
anything useful with it.

--
Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN