Re: [NTLK] [OT] AT&T - Unlocked!

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 18:35:06 EDT

On 20/07/2007, at 7:11 PM, Steven Scotten wrote:
> I fail to see how any of this is Apple's fault or a failing of the
> iPhone. It's a GSM phone, so it won't run on Sprint or Verizon. CDMA
> is dead-end technology and you can't sell CDMA overseas. Making the
> iPhone GSM was the right thing to do. Locking it to one company is
> the same thing that Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, Sony, Ericsson, LG and
> every other cellphone maker does. Why pick on the iPhone when it's
> the entire industry that needs fixing?
It isn't GSM whatsoever. It's a 3G phone, otherwise known as WCDMA or
Wideband CDMA. GSM and 3G/WCDMA will stick around for a little bit,
but pushes into 3.5G and 4G networks, if handled correctly, will see
great networks across all continents. I don't like network/operator
locked phones either, but then it only takes me a few minutes to
unlock them. :-P

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard