Re: [NTLK] Newton vs iPhone text entry

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 14:35:14 EDT

On Jul 11, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Steven Scotten wrote:

>>> This statement is almost completely meaningless unless you specify
>>> what
>>> metric you're using to judge superiority. Do you mean speed of
>>> input,
>>> ease of use, intuitiveness, ease of learning, accuracy, comfort?
>>
>> All of the above.
>>

> I find that very difficult to believe. Even among the most practiced,
> best-"learned" Newt HWR users, Newt HWR is slower than the slowest
> minikeyboard
> typing.
Slower then a cell phone keypad? Not at all in my experience.
Slower then real typing yes, even on crappy qwerty keyboards.

We are talking about thumb or two finger typing on a virtual keyboard
on the iphone's screen. I think this question is still open. I only
got to try this for a quick moment or two, but it didn't work very
well, and seems like it could be really hard for people with larger
hands (mine are average).

<snip>
Marty