Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 13:39:02 EST

~~~ On 2007/01/14 12:59, Sonny Hung at sonnyhung@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> On 1/14/07, simon <simski@dds.nl> wrote:
>>

>> On 13-jan-07, at 22:43, Lord Groundhog wrote:
>>
>>> You probably already know about this, but in case somehow you don't,
>>> try
>>>
>>> http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?
>>> page=XPostFacto 3.html
>>>
>>> ...and the associated application XPostFacto, of course.
>>>

>> Xpostfacto definitely works. i have used it to get 10.3.9 on a
>> wallstreet. I don't like 10.4, it's more of a bloatware system, so i
>> have'nt tryed that. (
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> 10.3.9 - that's great - and possibly 10.4.x ..... wow there is still some
> hope. Unfortunate for me my Wallstreet was discovered with a cracked screen
> this morning...
> Let me not elaborate how this happened.... suffice to say I'm now in need of
> a replacement 14" screen :(
>
> an unexpected bump in the road...
>
> If anyone knows of one drop me one off list - the agony of it all

Sonny,

I'm posting on-list just in case other folks would like to know about this.
Try some of these links:

http://tinyurl.com/yzt7uv
http://tinyurl.com/yhb5tl
http://tinyurl.com/yke9w8
http://tinyurl.com/yml85r
http://tinyurl.com/yhglef
http://tinyurl.com/ydhbfr
http://tinyurl.com/yasqro

They're all from these pages:
http://tinyurl.com/ydayp2
-- at http://www.ifixit.com

For anyone who doesn't know them, they offer parts for a lot of Macs
including the more recent legacy models, and they have both online and
downloadable disassembly guides for those of us who don't have the innards
of our Macs memorized.

The pages I've listed need to be sorted according to your needs; it appears
there were two sizes of Wallstreet displays, and these people offer both the
whole display assembly (the upper, "lid"-half of the machine) and the
LCD-only. Obviously the price reflect this difference, as well as the
difference in condition of the items. So, you can buy what you need. IMO
the prices are pretty reasonable for what they offer. My only dealings with
them have been uniformly good.

And you can download (free) the correct guide to the kind of detailed
disassembly-reassembly you'll need to do. IIRC they even point out the
occasional pitfalls involved in such work, again for those of us who don't
regularly take our machines apart and might make mistakes.

I hope that helps -- you and perhaps some others here as well.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/