Re: [NTLK] SonyEriccson P800, UIQ and the iPhone...

From: Jon Scordia <jscordia_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 18:24:01 EST

Here's a chance to chip in my tuppence worth to this debate!
My first pda was a Psion 5, then a 5mx. I loved them, and their
operating system, which did of course lead to the Symbian UIQ phone OS.

The Psion's paradigm was clear and simple. A balanced solution of
form factor, nice clamshell keyboard and a simple OS that shared some
of the 'joined up' and intelligent thinking of the Newton. (not that
I'd tried the Newton at the time). I was gutted when Psion quit the
market just when they seemed to be on top. (anyone ever tried a
netbook?)

But the OS survived, became Symbian and I was given my first office
'smartphone'. A Sony Ericsson P910.

Amazing gadget, but ultimately frustrating because of the fact that
Sony (and their competitors) keep on cramming so many features into
these things that they become awkward (hardware) and impenetrable
(software). A really useless jack-of-all-trades, that incidentally
had a very poor build quality and quickly fell apart.

Next step, my current phone, a SonyEricsson M600i. Better made,
better choice because rather than a jack-of-all-trades, I thought,
'I've got an iPod, and a digital camera...lets get a phone WITHOUT
these useless tack-ons'.

It's keyboard is actually the most elegant hardware pda keyboard I've
found, still a bit fiddly but clever rocking 3 way keys. Battery life
is poor though...not nearly as good as published.

And here's the really annoying thing. The more advanced the Symbian
OS is, the less it seems to do..the dumber it gets. There's no way to
search inside contacts any more, there's no way of linking a to-do to
your diary any more. (basic Psion and Newton stuff) Ok, so I can
download third party software, games etc, (woohoo I can play Doom on
my phone!) but the interface is crap and the cost of the software has
rarely been worth it.

I use my Newton 'back at the ranch' to do lots of personal and
project organisational stuff. It beats all of the phones hands down.
But its a bit big to cart around and drop on meeting tables (sorry
guys!)

So somebody needed to start from the ground up and think: form factor
- interface - useability - connectivity - enjoyability! And don't
start by cramming too much into it. Control it's development from a
carefully designed base (a la iPod).

There's a lot of (expected) cynicism about the iPhone, and quite a
few concerns based on what the iPhone v1 appears to be NOW and not
what it will BECOME (put an iPod gen1 next to an iPod vid or Nano!)

I think its a brilliant start. I also think the 'secrecy, massive
publicity then 5 months to respond to feedback' approach will also
turn out to be a smart move. Apple will be shipping iPhone v1.1, I'm
sure.

I'm also sure i'll be buying an iPhone v2 or 3...if this cheap
plastic M600i will hold out long enough!

Meantime I'm off to pre-order an AppleTV...poor overshadowed thing.

Jon