Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died...

From: L.W. Brown <lwb_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 16:49:58 EST

4GB iPod = cheap at $175
"smart" phone = cheap at $75 (and _ignoring_ the cost of the service
plan you would get stuck with)
WiFi, EDGE, full push-email and improved Net access = at least $75
(and that's really stretching the assumption)
All-in-one unit, small size, interoperability, and superb style (the
OS as well as the box) = $50 (again, a real stretch)
total = $375 rock-bottom

Sure you could go cheaper, like a Shuffle or Rio or such, and a bare-
bones cell phone, and low-end Palm - without WiFi,, BlueTooth, Net,
or push email (maybe without email altogether).

Just because "everyone" throws away a phone in 18 months doesn't mean
it is necessary. Further, I believe the iPhone will be software
upgradable (and possibly even open, if only somewhat). Finally, you
might not have to get a new Cingular contract just because you buy a
newer-gen iPhone, >unless< you want to get a subsidized price.
(However, that also depends on the details of the agreement between
Apple & Cingular, which no one has claimed to have seen.)

No product will satisfy everybody. The gamble is whether it satisfies
enough to make a profit. We are a very specialized, VERY small
community - we are not a good "random sample" for judging market
success.