[NTLK] Newtonlink

From: Dale Raby <daleraby_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 19:16:04 EST

Hello,
I'm still trying to get Newtonlink up and limping..

I uninstalled my original 1.29 RPM and downloaded a 1.30 beta version as a
.tar.gz archive, unarchived it and installed it. So far so good. Now the
installation instructions state that I should next:

   - Install the Perl modules TimeDate and DBD-XBase (included in the
   Newtonlink distribution).
   - Make sure that *newtonlink* is in your path.

OK, I found the modules in a subdirectory modules, as .tar.gz archives. I
tried:

[root@localhost modules]# gunzip DBD-XBase-0.155.tar.gz
[root@localhost modules]# gunzip TimeDate-1.07.tar.gz
[root@localhost modules]# ls
DBD-XBase-0.155.tar TimeDate-1.07.tar
[root@localhost modules]# tar -xf DBD-XBase-0.155.tar
[root@localhost modules]# tar -xf TimeDate-1.07.tar
[root@localhost modules]# ls
DBD-XBase-0.155 DBD-XBase-0.155.tar TimeDate-1.07 TimeDate-1.07.tar
[root@localhost modules]# perl Makefile.PL

This was from an instruction on installing Perl modules. The machine told
me:

Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory

So I:

[root@localhost modules]# cp -rf DBD-XBase-0.155
TimeDate-1.07/home/dale/newtonlink-
1.30

 ...and then I:

[root@localhost newtonlink-1.30]# perl Makefile.PL

... and I got:

Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory

Now, my newtonlink-1.30 directory does in fact contain a file called
"Makefile". It appears to be some sort of user configuration file with
editable sections.

Two questions;

How do I install these modules properly, and how do I make sure that
newtonlink is in my path?

Woulda been nice if the RPM had worked properly. Now, though, when I enter:

[dale@localhost ~]$ newtonlink
No personal config file found,
created a config file "/home/dale/.newtonlink/newtonlink.config"
Edit it first to match your needs
[dale@localhost ~]$

... I at least get something that leads me to believe I am on the right road
to success.

Thanks,

Dale the Perl Diver