Re: [NTLK] Wireless Help?

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 10:17:39 EST

Ian,
Trying to work on your problem a bit using my own setup, I have
discovered something interesting that could really interfere with
debugging, so thought I would pass it along.

Basically, it appears that you have to you have to eject the card and
then reinsert it to get the Newt to notice that you have changed your
worksite. Let me explain:

I have a couple of different worksites that have different SSIDs --
let's call them "home" and "office".

Let's say I am working at home and try to check my mail using the
"office" ssid. I get the failure notice that you describe: "problem
connecting. DCHP serve . . ."

If I then touch "receive" again in my mail program, and change the
worksite to "home" so that it has the correct SSID, the Newt still
won't connect. I still get the same error. The only way to make it
recognize the new worksite and SSID — near as I can tell, is to eject
the card and reinsert it.

I mention all this only because, if you are trying various setup
options without ejecting an reinserting the card each time, this
little hiccup could be causing you trouble.

I have only just discovered this, so there may be work-arounds other
than ejecting and reinserting the card. And, as always, YMMV.

Cheers!

Greg
Greg Hankins
Happy Hank's Honey House