Re: [NTLK] 2010

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 14:10:25 EST

On Dec 19, 2007 7:08 PM, John <OceanCity@mac.com> wrote:
> Is there a specific test I can use to challenge my 2100 to determine if
> it falters?

The problem is not in having dates in advance of 2010, but when your
Newton itself reaches the year 2010. That's when it blows up. So, if
you advance your Newton's clock to 2010, _then_ you will see it blow
up, if you have dates in 2010 or later.

CAVEAT!!! DOING THE FOLLOWING WILL LIKELY REDUCE YOUR NEWTON TO AN
INOPERABLE STATE, FORCING A HARD RESET THAT WILL WIPE YOUR NEWTON'S
MEMORY

So, to test it, simply set the date of your Newton to a date in 2010,
and see what happens. AGAIN, do so ONLY after you have truly and
safely backed up your Newton. Preferably both to a card and to your
computer.

Several years ago (on a 130, I believe) I stress-tested Avi's patch,
and documented it on-list. Before doing so, however, I tried doing the
above without the patch, and it well and good reduced my Newton to a
simpering pile of mush. I had to do a hard reset, wiping everything
from internal, to get it back, so make definitely sure you have a good
backup before you try this. With Avi's patch, I had no such problems,
and set the date several years to the future of 2010 (forget how
many--maybe 50) without any problems. And I entered several dates,
including repeating dates.

Unfortunately this happened before Victor became list dad, and the
archives were put up on MARC, so I can't refer you to my test in the
archives. I shall search my HD, however, and see if I still have a
record. (I may have actually been using Cyberdog then, so it won't be
easy!)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland