Re: [NTLK] two questions

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 26 2007 - 22:35:33 EDT

On 8/26/07, Steven Scotten <splicer@paroxysm.com> wrote:
> The original model, known as simply AirPort Card was a re-branded
> Lucent WaveLAN Bronze PC card, in a modified housing that lacked the
> integrated antenna. It was designed to be capable of being user-
> installable.
>
> ...of course that part about lacking an integrated antenna sort of
> puts a damper on things, doesn't it?

FYI Steven,

Actually from what I recall investigating into it the Airport card
IIRC had a different pin out so it would not be compatible at all :(

However if you ever checked my Flickr Newton photostream you would
have come across my photos of a SONY VAIO rebranded Lucent Card in the
same packaging as the Apple Airport Card. I have one of the older
versions and it's seen as a Gold Lucent Card by my recently SOLD Pismo
& my MP2100.

If I could only get back to the link I found while researching I would
be able to provide links (or photos) to the PCB inside the Airport,
SONY VAIO and Lucent WiFi Cards. If we started out with the Lucent you
could seen the traces for the Airport & SONY VAIO. So the Lucent card
actually was designed with the Apple & SONY Cards in mind. If you were
to have the Antennae for the SONY you could use it on the Apple Card.
BUT keep in mind that the SONY has two antennae connectors versus the
Apple Card's one. If you could track one of these Antennae down you
could use it then. But I'd have to wonder why... though...

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/sets/72057594088639324/

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung