Re: [NTLK] OT Are we stupid?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 10:57:57 EDT

Sorry, but I can't share your sentiments.

You can very well buy a computer that has everything installed and
just runs, like a TV. Just go to the Apple website, click on shop/
iMac, add iLife and iWorks, and a few days later, you will have a
perfectly working system, likely even with a running printer.

If on the other hand you buy you screen separately from your PC and
then upgrade to a new internal DL DVD Burner and exchange your
harddrive, well, then you better know what you are doing. But that is
the equivalent - to stress the TV comparison - to changing your TV
from terristric to satellite receiver and and modifying your TV
remote to alphanumeric.

You mentioned cars as something that "just runs", but these days we
seem to get further and further away from these kinds of cars. My
previous car had a built-in navigation that would crash if you took a
sharp turn right after switching it on, locking the integrated CD-
player volume to the maximum. Result: I had to "reboot" my car after
such maneuver by switching the engine off, pulling the key, and
restarting. Ctrl-Alt-Delete anyone?

As for your ethernet connection via Newton: the machine was simply
not built with ethernet in mind (or as a first priority). We can be
very happy that there is a working solution at all. Because last time
I tried to get my Palm Pilot on the Ethernet, there was no such
solution (Wifi of course works well enough).

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/