[NTLK] OT Are we stupid?

From: j g <atcnn2_at_yahoo.se>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 10:37:26 EDT

Let me start with an obvious statement that Newton is a great machine and
Newton software is great. We all know that. Still I wonder about our state
of mind and our capacity. By "our" I mean humanity state of mind. With time
I get a filling that our capacity is very limited and we cannot solve some
of the most simple issues. Word "simple" is not correct. If they were simple
we could solve them. They look like simple. For example: communication with
Newton. I have an Ethernet cable, a Newton, NCU installed, a Mac 10.4.10. It
all looks very OK. In the end I send 4 hours and I cannot make it. It is
very possible that I am stupid but I rise a question: if I am stupid for how
is this software. Have we not landed in the age where software works only
from time to time or is so "complicated'" that when we at the end succeed we
are very grateful.....! (The same is with isolation foam.) Let compare our
life with computers with our life with TV, HiFi, cars, elevators,
telephones, even mobile phones. All mentioned here devices work well and we
don't need to restart them a few times a day. Cars, TV etc. are sold in
fully usable sets. Computers are sold barely usable and almost immediately
we have to buy more parts, if we don't want to wait 3 minutes for my mini to
open one application (when 2 others are already opened). Why to sell this
kind of devices at all. Now mentioned our competitors starting with W... I
don't complain about particular software or hardware but I am against
practice of selling products which are barely usable or should be
immediately updated or upgraded. Why we accept upgrades send to us each
second week which ruin our computers, which cut off some devices (like USB
HD after upgrading to 10.4.10). Why we have to rescue ourselves out of this
mass by being experts in programming or computer manipulation or by paying a
lot of money. Why we have to spend a lot of time to keep these machines
alive. Is our TV working this way? Why we not protest and why we kindly pay
for all the stuff. Is it not time to star thinking other way, not only
accept everything, whatever they produce or sell.
But returning to the beginning of this reflection. Computers or software
should work like TV. If, we, humanity like Mr. Jobs or Mr. Gates, cannot
develop high quality computers we should admit it, step down, and allow new
young people take over. If new young people cannot solve these issues we
have to admit it and forget about saving our world with help of computers.
After radio was TV, after TV is computer and after computer .... who knows
what?
John