Re: [NTLK] handwriting recognition repair

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 17:14:46 EDT

~~~ On 2007/08/03 18:25, Steven Scotten at splicer@paroxysm.com wrote ~~~

> Thanks to Woody, I now have an eMate that will work when not plugged
> into the wall. One of the biggest surprises is how good the
> handwriting recognition is! I've barely missed a letter since I've
> been using the eMate.
>
> It's slow, but it's about a thousand times better than the HWR on my
> 2000u. Maybe having to reach across the keyboard is forcing me to be
> more careful, or maybe I somehow screwed up the HWR in the 2000u.
> Because it makes no sense for the same HWR engine to work better on a
> slower processor.
>
> Any ideas, theories, or suggestions about what I could do to the
> MP2000u to make it recognize handwriting as well as my eMate?
>

> Steve

Steven,

Doubtless there's someone here who knows the answer for certain, but for now
one thing that most readily comes to mind is the settings for your MP2000
under "Preferences - Handwriting Recognition".

I'm one of the lucky ones who found the Newton could read my handwriting
from the beginning, with very few errors. Within weeks, it was only
producing the occasional mistake. However, I also found that I could
eliminate nearly all the remaining errors with a few simple adjustments.
FWIW, here are my adjustments.

In "Handwriting Recognition" I made sure "cursive" was selected because I
don't use printing at all. For "closely spaced" I slid the slider to the
left all the way because my writing tends to be really small. Letting the
Newton "expect" large handwriting seemed to have confused it just that
little bit. I check from time to time to make sure "configure for guest
user" is unchecked, because that once got ticked by someone I was showing my
Newt, and all of a sudden Newt got sloppier until I saw that.

Still on the "Handwriting Recognition" slip, click the button "Options".
I'm not too sure that the first two made much difference to anything and I
left them ticked, but the third, "Learn my handwriting", is vital.

Still in "Options", two more things:"Letter Shapes" and "Fine Tuning". In
the first one, you have the facility to tell Newton which way you make
individual letters etc. You can select which forms you use for them, and
which ones you don't. If you only have one letter-form set as "Often" and
turn the ones you don't use to "Never" for each letter or number, your
Newton will learn your handwriting more easily.

In the second one there are two sliders that let you set how quickly
recognition should take place, and how quickly it should be rendered into a
font. I have my first slider set just slightly left of centre (toward
"slowly, more accurately"), and the second one set almost to the extreme
left ("transform immediately").

I don't know but it's just possible that your Newton and your eMate are set
up differently. You could try comparing the settings from your eMate with
the Newton, and perhaps copy them over and see if it helps.

And now, I'll hand over to the folks here who have more experience and can
tell you why the difference between your two machines.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl