Re: [NTLK] Newton reclassification

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 11:11:07 EDT

On 27/04/2007, at 11:31 PM, Rod wrote:
> Not me. At this point, I'm on the wrong side of the Pacific to get
> excited about the iPhone :-) Also, its not an open platform. The
> only way (at this stage) to run apps that you want is through Safari
> as a web app. I'm guessing there will be a lot of Ruby on Rails and
> WebObjects developers popping up :-)
>
> To be honest, I haven't seen enough of the iPhone to make my mind up
> yet. It seems a few of the cool features rely heavily on your Telco
> rather than the iPhone itself ie. Visual Voicemail. Great idea, but
> the only Telco that can run the iPhone in Australia (Telstra) won't
> be in any great hurry to implement it. A lot of other functions that
> you could see on the iPhone's screen during the Macworld demo were
> just jpegs. I'll wait until its in the wild in June/July before I
> could really answer that question.
I'm waiting for the 3.75G and 4G networks to be fully implemented,
but that might be a couple years yet. Imagine 20Mbps downlink and
100Mbps uplink on your mobile!! :)
Maybe they'll have an iPhone v2 for that, heh.
Telstra does have the network for it with their new Next G (3.75G),
but it's starting out at 1.5Mbps and later increasing to 14.4Mbps.
http://tinyurl.com/yx9k9p

3G = 384kbps down/up
3.25/3.5/3.75G = 0.73-14.4Mbps down/up
4G = 20Mbps down, 100Mbps up

Can't wait for my 3G contract to finish and get into 3.75G. Hope the
iPhone or something better will be out then. :)

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard