Re: [NTLK] Newton reclassification

From: andy hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 02:16:13 EDT

For what its worth I think that working with a Newton and accepting its
scope is the freedom, is part of the beauty.

Using it, like I do everyday for work and home, is like choosing to ride
a very well made classic motorcycle.
You know it's no longer a superbike, it's vintage, it's classic and
there's a whole army of enthusiasts out there who are happy to take the
ride a little slower and take in the scenery. There's a quote in Zen and
the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance which says something like, 'the only
Zen you find at the top of the mountain is the Zen you brought with
you', i.e it's the journey that's the fun, not the getting there.

There's a big part of me that feels born in the wrong era! That's why
I'm still amazed by the Newton. I'm always a generation behind. It might
have something to do with starting out with a Commodore Vic 20, all
those hours of typing in code, PEEKS and POKES etc, finding the one tiny
typo, and wow, the blue square flashes on the screen for 5 seconds! Awesome.

I don't want an iphone, it way way way too modern, that would feel wrong
for me. I'll be comfortable with one, when they are selling on ebay for
about $50 and there's an army of enthusiasts keeping them going and
doing the then equivalent of making a usb dongle!!

Ah well, that's my story!

Thanks for listening and thanks for this site, it's a good site!

Andy

~~~ On 2007/04/26 18:21, Mark Harter at willmark@mac.com wrote ~~~