[NTLK] Re-send: "Problem: Odd MP2000 behaviour"

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 15:57:22 EDT

Sorry, but Iım resending this, in case it got lost in the flurry of traffic.
I really have to have one MP2x00 working and mobile ‹ Iıve become dependent
upon a Newton for daily work and life.
Thanks to Joseph Solin for his response about the settings for ³Autodock²
and ³Beam Prefs². Those were disabled from the beginning but it promptedd
me to re-check all the settings so it was still productive. Iım now looking
for any other causes or explanations of problems.

> I have been trying to switch over from my MP2100 to a MP2000 upgraded to 2100,
> in preparation for attempting a fix on my MP2100 (as per earlier post:
> ³Problem: screen sensitivity²).
>
> In the process Iıve found a few problems with the MP2000. For some reason my
> rechargeable battery pack has gone from giving me 2-3 days of service under
> normal use, to discharging in a matter of hours even if Iım not using the Newt
> over that time.
>
> This appears linked to other things. On the 2000 I had made Extras my
> background (having learned from the problem Iım having with my MP2100 that
> started all this), but on my first expedition away from the mains power, I
> switched on the 2000 and got a series of error messages ‹ about 6 or 7 in all,
> I think. They happened so rapidly I couldnıt even read them, although one of
> the error numbers seemed to be either 5 or 6 digits and had either 2 or 3 ³8²s
> in it, and another error message number may have been ³5². The final error
> message was the one about the battery being very low.
>
> Although I couldnıt read the error numbers, I did see that one of them said it
> couldnıt display Extras as the backdrop, and another that said it couldnıt
> open something called ³Cardfile². AFAIK I donıt have anything called
> ³Cardfile² on either Newton, so I donıt understand this latter. When all was
> done, the MP2000 opened with Notes as my background.
>

> I have since restored Extras as my backdrop, and so far itıs stayed OK.
>
> There are other things but I know that too much in one message means
> everything will get lost, so Iıll start here with these questions:
>
> 1. is there any reason why a Newton might damage a battery pack to produce
> this sudden failure?
> 2. is there any reason why a Newton would think it couldnıt open an app it
> doesnıt even have?
> 3. is there any possibility that some or all of these problems relate to the
> problem with the accelerated discharging of the battery pack?
>
> BTW, I previously had noticed that when I put AAs into the MP2000 in a battery
> sled, they ran out quickly, but at the time I put it down to the possibility
> that the batteries were old. Iım not so sure now.
>
> TIA.

Shalom.
Christian

³Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.²
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/