Re: [NTLK] Red Backlights for Astronomy

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 09:23:23 EDT

On 13/10/2006, at 11:07 PM, Alex Santos wrote:
> Come to think of it, I'm not sure how acetate might inhibit, if it
> does, contact with the pen.
>
> How about leaving the backlight off and getting a safe red light -
> the ones used in a photo lab. I'm not sure if electricity will be an
> issue but if it is or if that will be suitable or workable. If it is
> functional, but electricity is an issue, there is a project out there
> still available today which allows a small 'usb type' light (but it's
> not powered by usb) light to be connected to the Newton. Perhaps the
> kit can have a red light mounted.
>
> Then there is this site: http://www.adago.net/
> They do backlight replacement kits for the Newton. Perhaps they can
> better answer your question. For what it's worth they do have a white
> back light and from there you may or may not find an overlay to
> protect your screen and at the same time act as a red film of sorts.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Alex

Mr Grier(owner of adago.net) just replied and suggested using a red
filter as well. Power for led lighting is no problem, and will probably
be easiest and cheapest way to do this, but I just thought it'd be cool
to have a dedicated "Red Newt". :-)
I'll look into some options on filters at some point in time.

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard