Re: [NTLK] e-books [was: "Re: OT peace"]

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 12:00:01 EDT

On 10/5/2006 8:50 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> Believe it or not, this reminded me of something ON-topic: I'm still very
> much the rookie concerning doing things on my 2100. I understand that
> reading e-books on Newtie is straightforward, but I'm not 100% sure about
> the whole thing with where to find books I want. Am I restricted to the
> ones on Unna, or can I use books made for other readers?
>
> In particular I was looking for HD Thoreau's "Essay on Civil Disobedience".
>

> Shalom.
> Christian

Well you can't get a PalmDoc book and read it directly on your Newt for
example. However you can convert PlamDoc to plain text, then convert
that to a Newton book (either Newton Book or Paperback format). There
are a lot of books that have been converted from
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/71/71.txt as Victor suggested. Another
library to check out is http://www.stillnewt.org/library many of the
books in gutenberg have been converted already (and from many other
sources).

I often buy books from sites that don't have encryption on them
(protected). There are a few sellers that offer them in plain text or a
format that is easy to convert to plain text such as PalmDoc
(Fictionwise.com is a good example). If I may suggest reading the
tutorial I wrote in
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/windows/NewtonBookmaking101 it tells how
to make books in Newton Book format with information on converting from
other format as well. Once you convert a book or two, it only takes 10
minutes (if that) to do a full conversion with Bookmaker. Much faster
if you use Press (and you don't bother with table of contents) or Paperback.

-Dan