Re: [NTLK] Hi to all and some questions

From: Xenon Soft <xenon_soft_at_yahoo.es>
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 02:26:32 EDT

 --- Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu@mac.com> escribió:

> Salva brings up a good point here.
>
> Could it be possible to, while upgrading NIE
> (http://
> u.nie.notwen.com/), make it usable under NOS 2.0? I
> do not have a non-
> NOS 2.1 Newton, yet, so I haven't experienced
> exactly what NIE 1.1 is
> like, nor have I explored the aspects of their
> implementation.

Actually, is totally possible. As I've told you, even
a MSX or C=64 computer has ethernet and TCP/IP
networking. And for my own experience Internet with a
MSX 2 computer is something totally great. My MSX 2
has 128 KB RAM internal and I have 512 KB external
mapper.

The big problem of NIE 1.1 is that it's very old and
it doesn't support ethernet cards for example. But why
we must be using this old tcp/ip and connection apps?
NIE was great 10 years ago, but not now. Also, if a
very old system like MSX-DOS (which was made by
Microsoft) can do TCP-IP and Ethernet, Newton OS 2.0
SURE that also can do.

> I'm wondering where people might start in
> implementing a new NIE:
> Reverse engineer and patch? Pick a solid TCP/IP
> stack (the BSD ones
> are often used, especially NetBSD as the open source
> license is
> agreeable and they've been around a _long_ time) and
> try to shoehorn
> it into the NIE API?

We must do something like a survey to see if people
wants internet in near every 2.0 newton. But it could
be great, as Messagepads 120 and 130 are still great
and very usables. I have a newton 120 with keyboard
and one of the only things I miss is to be able to use
ethernet, knowing that with processor speed I could do
too much things.

> Sincerely,
>
> Morgan Aldridge
> --